Attack on Titan RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 410 on 7/5/2021, 07:06

NPC discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NPC discussion Empty NPC discussion

Post by cornix 30/3/2018, 13:16

This is basically just a thread where everyone can post their opinions or ideas about NPCs.

NPC: it's basically like an off character, not as detailed as a normal one

Rules about it:
1. No thread can be started with an NPC

that's the only rule from my side so far. I know there were some people that would like to retire their normal OCs to an NPC to make a new OC. This obviously brings the problem of lots of never played NPCs, way too many character, which all don't really have any character development what so ever.

Please leave your suggestions about this, so we can get it approved and allow a few more characters or interesting things
cornix
cornix

Character sheet
Strength: 6 / 5 /10
Agility: 13 / 8 / 12
Intellect: 6 / 12 / 3

Back to top Go down

NPC discussion Empty Re: NPC discussion

Post by Mitsuo Shimura 30/3/2018, 13:35

OK, so you may or may not like this and either way is fine to me but I had the idea that maybe there could be a character application thing for NPCs.

The reason I think this is because then you get to control the flow of how many characters there are, npc and pc wise, as well as people will be able to describe their npc idea in a way for others to understand and know how to roleplay them.
Mitsuo Shimura
Mitsuo Shimura

Character sheet
Strength: 7
Agility: 7
Intellect: 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Herdir 30/3/2018, 13:37

So regarding this matter, I'll detail my views about multiple characters and why they are not allowed:

Having multiple characters played by the same person lead to a whole bunch of problems, starting with less good character development (since, obviously, one cannot develop two or three characters as well as they can a single one), and continuing with all sorts of trouble regarding how a single person's characters interact with each other, as well as generating a tendency to make a new character every time someone gets a new idea, forgetting about the older ones.

NPCs are a better solution too that, but it begs the question, "What is an NPC?".

Because if NPCs are only allowed to be played by a specific guy, then really they're more "Almost-PCs" than "Non-PCs". Thus, I personally feel like the ability for multiple people to just play an NPC is an essential trait.

But, if we do only allow the creator + approved people to play the NPC, then the following problem arises:
-Someone makes a character
-Someone gets bored of the character
-They make an NPC
-They use the NPC almost exclusively over their character in RP-ing

Why bother make an NPC instead of a new character? Well, because they don't want to retire the character, or even because the app for an NPC is more lenient. Then, they make 10 more NPCs, and you're in the character number problem again.

This can be solved by having a simple rule, an NPC may not join a thread in the absence of the PC, except under special circumstances.
NPCs should be supporting characters, not entirely new ones.

Anyway, that's my view on the matter, and I am thoroughly, completely and utterly against independent NPCs (ones that have no direct relation with someone's PC), as well as utterly against person-locked NPCs (that may only be played with creator permission), or multiple PCs.
Herdir
Herdir

Character sheet
Strength: 17
Agility: 3
Intellect: 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sprw201 30/3/2018, 21:47

True... also I think that NPCs should never be used to give away crucial plot information.

For example, if somebody made an NPC that had knowledge about the Red Titan (which probably wouldn't happen, but if it does) and then uses that information to exploit the plot and twist it to their own uses. Like knowing the Red Titan's weaknesses or whatever.

So... rule 2 I guess?

NPCs cannot be used to gain plot motivating information that will that will exploit somebody else's PC. Any plot motivating information must be given to one PC by the other PC.
Sprw201
Sprw201

Character sheet
Strength: 6
Agility: 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Herdir 30/3/2018, 22:23

About that...

In practice, information passing like that both can and had happened, funnily enough with almost the exact example you've given, namely when Nile Doc promoted Alan and revealed to him the identity of the Red Titan.

I personally do not see a problem with that, since it's using an NPC to advance a plot scenario. However, like with anything about other people's characters, how much an NPC can or cannot know about a PC has to be talked with the respective owner of the PC, for obvious reasons. This more or less falls under the grand rp rules, since it's a form of metagaming.
Herdir
Herdir

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Katlewande 31/3/2018, 11:39

I think a line can also be added in regards to permission of use.
As far as I can tell, there should be four different levels of use for an NPC, that usually tie to the character's skillset/knowledge/importance.
The four levels are as follows:
>Free - Anybody may use this NPC in their posts. It is a background character with relatively low importance. (For example, some drunken guard)
>Exclusive Group - Only specified users may use the NPC, either due to their in-game relationship to said NPC or the trust the creator of the NPC feels towards that player. (For example, a member of The Pack.)
>Official - Only the creator of the NPC and the administrators may use the NPC, usually due to the importance of the character. (For example, the King)
>Exclusive Player - Only the creator of the NPC may use it, usually because only he knows the character well enough or trusts himself to do him justice. (For example, a character's relative)

Concerning approval - I agree that there should be at least a basic template for the NPC's application, not nearly as in-depth as a normal character's profile, but detailed enough that any reader may get context on the character's look, personality and basic story. Approval should obviously be given by admins/mods, and only after approval may the NPC be used.
Alan Katlewande
Alan Katlewande

Character sheet
Strength: 6
Agility: 9
Intellect: 7

Back to top Go down

Post by cornix 31/3/2018, 12:27

I totally agree with the template thing, we definitly need that in some way.

I think your level ideas for NPCs are interesting.
I don't know if Herdy will agree to it however.

Opinion on Levels:
1: I don't think we need to make an extra application for characters that have this low of an importance
2: I don't think we need to make it an exclusive group, I would say that anyone can use this character, it anyway would go against the rules if someone would use said character in any roleplay where the character would not appear, or do something the character does not do.
3: this sounds quite okay, you could also make the official group the 'exclusive' group, but what I said before kind of goes for this as well (I hope it's understandable)
4. same as I said in two, I think Herdir can explain my thinking better than I can

Another thing:
What about retiring characters to NPC status?

should I add rule 2: an NPC may not join a thread in the absence of the PC, except under special circumstances.
cornix
cornix

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitsuo Shimura 31/3/2018, 12:47

Another thing:
What about retiring characters to NPC status?

should I add rule 2: an NPC may not join a thread in the absence of the PC, except under special circumstances.

Well, I don't think so? Just have a new character app before turning your old character into an NPC.
That way you're closer to roleplay as a new character and the old character would be less likely to be used.

That's my take on it anyway.
Mitsuo Shimura
Mitsuo Shimura

Character sheet
Strength: 7
Agility: 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herdir 31/3/2018, 12:52

Oh right, I had already talked with with Cornix, but it is worth mentioning here:

We are the Attack on Titan universe. People aren't living happy lives that often. So I'm thinking of having a rule regarding how PCs retired into NPCs go: simply, you may turn one PC into an NPC for every three that you retire by getting them killed. (the PC-to-NPC can be the first switch, though; as in, switch A to B first, and only then kill B,C and D)
Herdir
Herdir

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Herdir 31/3/2018, 13:21

So after discussing with cornix, the following is the form we've reached:

1. Nature of NPCs:

There is need for only two levels, really:
a. Free: An NPC that can be played by anyone, very undeveloped
b. Limited: To the creator, admins and whomever else receives special permission from one of the earlier two

2. Presence of NPCs:

No thread may be started with an NPC

3. Approval and numbers:

a. There will be a less strict app for NPCs
b. The process of NPC approval becomes increasingly hard the more NPCs a given person created, in order to limit the amounts to manageable levels
c. Free use NPCs are simplistic enough not to require an app

4. PC-to-NPC:

a. A PC may be retired into an NPC, or killed off
b. Every time a PC is retired into an NPC, the owner is only left with the option to kill off the next three PCs he wishes to change

Is there anything that you all would like to see changed, or any rule that you think is absolutely required?
Herdir
Herdir

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by cornix 1/4/2018, 11:03

would only like to add this rule:

an NPC may not join a thread in the absence of the PC, except under special circumstances.

I suppose the template contains:
Age, Name, Group, Rank, Appereance, Identity, how to roleplay (as in special stuff you have to remember), Backstory, Stats, who is allowed to roleplay this character

All with way less words required than an actual application
cornix
cornix

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Katlewande 2/4/2018, 10:53

Coolcool, looks like that's it Smile
Alan Katlewande